Home > Sports > MLB: New York Mets, Scott Boras still bickering about Carlos Beltran’s surgery

MLB: New York Mets, Scott Boras still bickering about Carlos Beltran’s surgery

January 18, 2010

No one seems willing to put aside the flap between the Mets and Carlos Beltran following the center fielder’s arthroscopic surgery last week. Perhaps the air is notso clear after all between the two sides, and bruised feelings linger.


Two days ago, GM Omar Minaya said the Mets have a “good relationship” with Beltran and weren’t unhappy with him, but with “the process” that led to the operation and not getting a chance to get an additional opinion on the diagnosis made by Beltran’s personal physician. Yesterday, Beltran’s agent, Scott Boras, said he wanted to “define the process.”

“This is an internal issue (for the Mets),” Boras said. “Carlos Beltran was not at fault. He followed the orders of the Met doctor, who told (Beltran’s doctor) to go ahead with the surgery (Wednesday morning).”

Boras said that Beltran’s physician, Dr. Richard Steadman, called Mets physician Dr. David Altchek on Tuesday afternoon and, “after hearing Steadman’s diagnosis, Altchek gave the OK.

If Altchek and the Mets didn’t want the surgery and the Mets didn’t want the surgery, Altchek had the authority and control to direct Steadman not to do it.”

Boras noted that Beltran had called Minaya on Tuesday night to tell him about the surgery, and Minaya did not put the brakes on the operation.

“Omar spoke to Carlos after Dr. Altcheck made his decision and if the Mets chose to stop what Dr. Altcheck initiated, they had every opportunity to tell Carlos during that conversation or anytime that evening,” Boras said. “Altchek’s decision to proceed was the correct one as Steadman found 20-30 cartilage fragments in the knee and now Carlos has a chance to return early in the season.


Without doing that, he may have been lost to the Mets for a substantial part of the season. Altchek did his job well. And Carlos is a dutiful employee.

Minaya didn’t disagree with that assertion – “We have talked about this enough. As we’ve said, we have no issues with Carlos or the doctors. Our focus is getting Carlos back on the field,” he said in an e-mail – but the club’s actions tell a different story.

The Mets sent a letter to Boras outlining their unhappiness with what they maintain was a break in protocol, in order to reserve any legal rights they may have regarding Beltran’s contract. The Mets also have contacted Major League Baseball to discuss options, but the Players Association said last week the Mets have “no basis to assert Carlos Beltran violated his contract.”

It seems unlikely anything would happen with Beltran on the mend. He is supposed to resume baseball activity in 12 weeks. “His rehab is going well and he’s feeling very good about his prognosis to return to play,” Boras said.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: